Millbrook Cathedral Event Space ~ 40 King Street West Millbrook Ontario ~ Map Link
Do you have questions? Of course you do! Choosing a venue is THE most important thing next to choosing the right partner and we'll be there every step of the way to help make this part of wedding planning as stress free as possible.
FAQs - 46 OF THE MOST FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. Is there a set venue fee and are there days/months that are less expensive?
Millbrook Cathedral offers a discount for booking in off-season months, and days other than Saturdays - so be open to alternatives if you are looking to save.
2. How many people can Millbrook Cathedral accommodate?
The official capacity number is 150.
3. What’s included in the venue fee?
Exclusive use of the premises (no sharing!), use of bride & groom dressing room, indoor or outdoor ceremony, the Millbrook Lounge and in-house planning services.
4. How many hours does the rental fee include, and is there an overtime fee if I stay longer?
Typically the rental period is 9 hours More time can be purchased so please ask your venue manager.
We also offer packages from 2 - 6 hours to accommodate everything from ceremony only events to our all-inclusive weddings.
5. How much is the deposit, when is it due, and is it refundable?
A non-refundable deposit of $2500 is required to hold your date.
6. What’s the payment plan for the entire bill? What forms of payment do you accept?
Deposit and the follow up payments can be paid by transfer. Sixty days before your wedding we’ll need 50% of the total wedding estimate (bar and rentals), and at 30 days the second 50% minus the deposit already paid. The 10% (*or 15%) landmark fee is due at 30 days (see catering for more info).
7. Can I have my ceremony here, too? Is there an additional cost?
Ceremony is included in all full service weddings but you can book a ceremony only event.
8. Are there changing areas for the bride, groom, and/or wedding party?
YES! We have both a bride and a groom’s room.
9. Can we have our rehearsal dinner here? What about a morning-after mimosa brunch?
We can arrange parties for all kinds of pre- and post wedding events as well.
10. How much time is allocated for the rehearsal?
11. What’s the cancellation policy?
Deposits are non-refundable as well as any deposits or expenses incurred up to the point of cancellation.
12. What’s your weather contingency (backup) plan for outdoor spaces?
Since we do ceremonies both indoor & outdoor this is covered!
13. Do you have liability insurance?
Yes we do however it is required that you get your own policy. We have a partnership with DUUO that gives our couples 20% off.
Food + Drinks
14. Do you have an in-house caterer or a list of "preferred" caterers, or do I need to provide my own? Even if there is an in-house caterer, do I have the option of using an outside caterer instead?
Millbrook Cathedral has preferred caterers that we have chosen based on quality, reliability and taste. To ensure you have the best experience we only wanted to partner with caterers we can stand behind 100%. Our preferred caterers accommodate dietary restrictions and/or food allergies. In some special circumstances an outside caterer will be allowed.
15. Is there a food & beverage minimum?
The venue does not require a food minimum however there is a beverage minimum based on the guest count.
16. What’s the tax and service charge?
The venue will charge 10% plus HST of your catering bill to you as a service charge, before taxes and tips. 15% applies to caterers not on the preferred list (with prior approval)
This fee is called a 'landmark fee' and it's paid to the venue to cover costs associated with food service such as licences, insurances, garbage and kitchen facilities. It also covers the coordination between the caterers and the venue managers, including the room flips and associated clean ups.
Under strict rules an outside caterer may be approved with a landmark fee of 15%. Outside caterers must be able to provide the same level of service as our preferred caterers and if they can't supply the staff or rentals needed the venue will handle those details at the clients' expense.
17. Can we do a food tasting before we finalize our menu selection? Does it cost extra?
Tastings may be included in the catering packages you purchase from our preferred caterers.
18. Are tables, linens, chairs, plates, silverware, and glassware provided?
We have a wide selection furniture to add to your package that you will order with the help of your venue manager. If tableware is included in the catering packages you purchase from our preferred caterers, they will take care of that for you. If it's not included, we'll take care of it for you.
Table and chair packages can be found here.
19. Can I bring in a cake from an outside baker or do I have to use a cake made on site?
Yes, you order your cake on your own or we’ll help you with that.
20. Is there a cake-cutting fee?
Cake cutting is included in some packages, in others it’s an upgrade.
21. Can we bring our own wine, beer or champagne? What about hard liquor?
If you order the BYO bar package then you will decide how to stock your bar.
22. Is there a charge for the bartender?
There is a per hour cost per bartender plus a cost per person for bar supplies on a BYO bar package - please see the latest brochure for rates.
Open bars include the per hour charge for bartenders. Tips and security are extra.
23. Are you licensed to provide alcohol service?
Yes, we are a licensed facility.
24. How much is an open bar?
An open bar starts at about $55 per person. Another great option is Consumption Bar where you pay per drink consumed with a minimum. Our bar manager can discuss which option is best for you.
25. Are there additional charges for bar staff in a full service package?
There are gratuities of either $200 or $400 on top of the open bar charge depending on how many guests you have which impacts the number of bartenders required. There is also a $250 fee for security.
Décor + Rentals
26. Are we allowed to bring in our own decorations?
Yes, with some restrictions - no holes allowed - no fire allowed.
27. Do you have an inventory of décor we can borrow from?
We have uplighting you can rent and plenty of couches and tables you can use. We also have a supply of votives and other candle holders and aisle decor.
28. Can I move things around or do I have to leave everything as is?
Things can be moved with the assistance of your venue manager.
29.Can we use candles/confetti/sparklers/fireworks/animals/lawn games/bounce houses/food trucks/insert your own fun-but- potentially-dangerous liability here?
With the permission of your venue manager some out of the box ideas can be accommodated.
29. Do you have signage or other aids to direct guests to my event?
Yes we do.
30. Do you provide heaters and/or umbrellas for the outdoor spaces?
Not at this time but we can arrange your rentals if needed.
Vendors + Staffing
31. Can I hire my own vendors or is there a preferred vendor list we need to stick to?
With the exception of the caterer, bar staff and tables/chairs you can hire who you want. Outside caterers must be approved before you hire them.
32. Do you offer on-site coordination? What services are excluded?
Yes we do. Exclusions include setting up decor from outside vendors and post dinner coordination.
We also have an exclusive The Concierge Program - Personal Wedding Shopper - which is free to use and can help you hire all the vendors you need.
33. Can the venue accommodate a DJ or live band?
We can accommodate both, we have 2 stages!
34, What security services do you offer?
A security guard is on site from 6pm onwards to ensure guests are not leaving intoxicated or going outdoors with alcohol. They are there to step in emergencies.
35. Do you provide a coat check service?
The coat check is self-service but staff will be there to assist.
36. What time can my vendors start setting up on the day of the wedding?
Speak to your venue manager about what’s required and we’ll make the arrangements.
37. Does the venue provide assistance getting gifts and/or décor back to a designated car or hotel room after the wedding?
No, but you can hire our venue coordinator for extended service to handle this.
38. Is there a separate space for cocktail hour?
YES! The Millbrook Lounge!
39. How many restrooms are there?
40. What overnight accommodations do you provide?
There is a luxury B&B a few doors down, a log cabin owed by the venue and lot of unique AirBnBs close by but no on-site accommodations.
41. What are the nearest hotels to the venue?
There are plenty of hotels 15 minutes away that we can arrange for you.
42. Who makes up the schedule for the day?
Our venue manager will create a schedule for the day.
43. Do you have a sound system and/or microphones for speeches?
44. Are there any noise restrictions?
Respect our neighbours - no loud music outdoors after 9pm.
45. Is there parking on site and if so, is it complimentary? If not, where will my guests park?
Yes there is parking onsite. We also have overflow parking if needed.
46. If a shuttle service is needed, can you assist with setting it up?
Definitely. It’s our preference that your guests don’t drive.