TIPS & BLOGS Millbrook Cathedral collaborates with vendors to help you create the perfect day, and these wonderful creative minds love to share and so do we! Check back often for the latest tips and tricks from the pros.
Why Should I Use My Venue’s Preferred Caterer? by Millbrook Cathedral
We can all agree that food can make or break a great venue experience which is why we decided that partnering with a preferred caterer was not just great for our peace of mind but also for our clients’. From quality to service there are so many advantage to working with your venue’s preferred caterer. Let’s dive in and talk about the Top 5 advantages.
1. Home Court Advantage! The preferred caterer has done multiple events on location, working with the venue staff and closely with the owners. In our case a whole team at Hawley Crescent is dedicated to Millbrook Cathedral from the chef on down and they take pride in the venue as if it was their own.
They know exactly how many staff members to bring in and how to choreograph where each server moves in order for everyone to get a bite of the appetizers you painstakingly chose for cocktail hour. They know how long the salad course is going to take and when to start plating and serving your different courses to various tables spread throughout the reception area.
At Millbrook Cathedral we have the main room and the lounge they need to cover, plus a room flip in between ceremony and reception. The preferred caterer manages all these spaces and the room flip with the venue management team in tandem to ensure everything is done on time and professionally.
2. No Hidden Costs!
There is a huge variety of things not traditionally advertised in a caterer’s quote that are included in your preferred vendor’s quote. Some of these things add up fast! Examples include staffing, building a field kitchen, equipment rentals, tableware rentals (plates, cutlery, glasses), travel time or the disposing of/hauling waste off the property.
In the case of Millbrook Cathedral, only the preferred caterer is allowed to utilize the on-site kitchen which is a huge advantage and can save you money.
There are many of the other non-food related tasks the preferred caterer takes care of. Because of this there are additional fee associated going with an outside caterer that the venue has to charge to cover off the extra staff needed to do these non-food related tasks. This cost is on average an additional $2000 on top of your venue fee.
In addition, the preferred caterer can come and go from the premises as they please where an outside vendor is restricted to the times set out in your contract. If they need access to prep etc. that can also cost you.
3. We love them and so will you! There are a lot of great caterers out there no doubt.
Caterers can vary wildly in price depending on what they specialize in and how they quote, but at the end of the day your experience is what’s important to us. We wanted fresh, tasty food (of course), but we also wanted it to be beautifully presented and offer the variety you need when it comes to dietary restrictions and preferences.
The team at Hawley Crescent is an extension of ours and they will be involved every step of the way with you and your venue manager from planning to execution.
4. Decor is included!
Food should be displayed to be as beautiful as it tastes and Hawley Crescent gets this.
Signage, table numbers, tablescapes for your sweet table and gorgeous charcuterie boards all included and more value add decor items are being added every day. This can save you hundreds of dollars and a lot of hassle.
On top of all that, Hawley Crescent can also coordinate your floral order and additional decor pieces you need to complete your look.
5. Rentals are included!
All caterers rent dishes, cutlery, napkins, table clothes, glasses and behind the scenes kitchen supplies you don’t see. These are included in your price-per-person quote with our preferred caterer.
Not only does this save you from being shocked by a big rental bill, but it also means you don’t have to worry about any of it. Together with your venue manager you will choose your colours and upgrades, and then Voila! all your choices appear beautifully arranged on the big day. No outside setup help required.
Our preferred caterer works closely with our preferred rental supplier, you won’t have to coordinate delivery of tables, chairs and linens or pay extra for delivery times outside of your venue rental window.
1.Create a dedicated wedding email Keep all your emails related to your wedding in one place. You can create folders within your inbox to easily find important emails. You can create folders for each of your vendors, helpful blogs, invoices etc. Give all your wedding vendors, and the venue this email.
2. Get a Wedding Binder or Folder It might be a digital world, but you’re still going to need a place to keep important documents like contracts, invoices and brochures, so they don’t get lost. Again, create tabs for things like wedding inspiration, to-do lists, service providers etc.
3. Follow a 12-month checklist Don’t know where to get started on first? Use a Wedding Checklist to keep you on track, and break things down in small manageable chunks.
4. Schedule Time for Wedding Planning Set aside time on your calendar every week for wedding planning, just like you would a doctor appointment or a gym workout. If you don’t block off the time, it’s likely it will get put off….and this will always be at the bottom of your to-do list.
5. Use Spreadsheets Spreadsheets are a fantastic tool to keep track of important information. You can use a spreadsheet for your budget, guest list with RSVP’s responses, menu selection, and thank you Cards.
Enter formulas to automatically calculate your budget or add up your guest list.
Bonus Tip - Get help! Planning a wedding is a BIG job, don’t be afraid to ask for help. This is where a professional Wedding Planner can come in handy. Wedding planners have the relationships and knowledge to help achieve your wedding day vision and minimize the stress. Your wedding planner will put you at ease and guide you through what is possibly the most exciting, yet stressful time of your life.